Today, I’m reviewing a trend floating around the dieting scene: The Superfoods Diet!
If you hear “superfood,” and think about foods that you can’t pronounce (I can still barely say açaí!), you may be surprised to know that most of the foods that are part of a Superfood Diet are simply whole foods that you may already know and love.
What is the Superfood Diet?
The Superfood Diet is a style of eating that focuses on foods based on their nutritional value. Think: getting the most nutritional bang for your buck (per serving).
Superfoods are rich in antioxidants, vitamins + minerals, fiber, and more. These foods help the body deal with oxidative stress, too, which help to prevent disease.
Superfood Grocery List Ideas
Here are some examples of superfoods that you can easily add to your grocery list!
- Leafy greens (collard greens, kale, bok choy, mustard greens, chard)
- Berries (acai, blueberries, blackberries, tart cherries, raspberries, goji, lingonberries)
- Beans/legumes (lentils, black beans, peas)
- Whole grains (oats, quinoa, brown rice, forbidden rice)
- Mushrooms (chaga, reishi, shiitake)
- Seeds (chia, hemp, flax, pumpkin)
- Probiotic-rich foods (pickles, tempeh, kombucha, kefir)
- Pasture-raised eggs
- Spirulina and blue-green algae (known by some skin experts to aggravate hormonal acne, proceed with caution)
- Green tea
How to Use Superfoods
I’ve loved trying out chaga mushrooms in powder form with my coffee for an almost nutty flavor. Plus, super-shrooms are great for immune support!
You can also incorporate Superfoods with these ideas:
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon chia seeds onto your lunch,
- Add cacao nibs or goji berries to trail mix,
- Add 1 teaspoon maca powder to your morning latte.
Superfood Diet Considerations
While a Superfood Diet has great benefits, you may find it’s more costly or involves more prep time since you’ll be buying foods in their whole, original form.
You’ll also want to check with your physician if you’re on any medications, just to be sure there aren’t any food-drug interactions to be aware of.
If you want to learn more about this style of eating, check out David Wolfe. He lectured at the Institute of Integrative Nutrition, where I completed my Health Coach training program. He's a true Superfood expert!
What superfoods are your faves?